Quinoa pronounced “kinwa” or “KEEN-wah” is a high protein, high fibre gluten free grain. It can be used as a substitute for rice, cous cous or any other grain. I often have a lot of clients ask me what it is and more importantly how they can use it.
I personally use it as a grain substitute in my salads, you can also use it to make porridge or add it to baked goods like cakes, bread and biscuits.
How to cook it:
1. Rinse 1 cup of quinoa with cold water
2. Add quinoa to a medium sized saucepan
3. Add 2 cups of water or salt reduced stock to saucepan and bring to the boil
4. Turn to low heat and simmer for ~15 minutes with lid on
5. Take off heat and leave for 5 minutes with the lid still on
6. Fluff quinoa with a fork and eat!