It’s that time of the year again, the weather is starting to get cooler and as a result the cravings for hearty comfort foods come. This is one of my favorite comfort foods and it is really easy to freeze to have handy for a lazy winters night.
1 bunch of rosemary, leaves removed stem discarded
500g lean mince (I used pork)
1 carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sweetcorn
1 red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
400g low salt tinned tomatoes
1 cup salt reduced vegetable stock
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs low salt tomato paste
2 tbs plain flour
1 medium sweet potato
1/3 cup skim milk
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
1. Spray a saucepan with oil and heat to medium
2. Add red onion and garlic and cook, stirring till transparent
3. Add vegetables and cook until soft (around 5 minutes)
4. Add in mince and cook for about 6 minutes or until brown, use a strainer to drain excess liquid and return to heat
5. Pour in stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, rosemary and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
6. Add flour and mix in thoroughly.
7. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for ~1hr
8. Place potato in a saucepan and cover with water
9. Bring to the boil and cook until you can easily stab potato with a knife and it goes right through
10. Remove from the heat, drain water off potato
11. Add milk and either mash or puree (with hand mixed) until smooth and creamy
12. Once pie filling is ready add to a casserole dish, top with mashed potato and place in oven.
13. Cook for 20 minutes or until top is brown and contents is bubbling