I took a long weekend off work and made the short trip to Budapest . I stayed in a fab Air B’n’B in the Old Jewish quarter and fell in love with the hipster vibes. I have so many great things to say about this place but I thought I’d choose 5 of my top recommendations.
- Szimpla Kert: the Ruins Bars are a must to visit when you are in Budapest. They are located in the Old Jewish Quarter and Szimpla Kert is the first and the mecca. Each bar is decorated with antiques, plants and junk. They are all different and equally interesting. Oh and you have to try the Hungarian Wine…incredible!
2. Karavan: A hipster food truck park located a few minutes down from Szimpla Kert. It’s full of traditional Hungarian food, wine, beer and a community garden. I got the Goulash…when in Rome.
3. Mazel Tov: If you like vegetarian food you will love this place. The food is incredible!! We had a falafel and hummus platter and it was delish. It is also decorated really well with beautiful plants and fairy lighting.
4. Kadarka Bar: now if you have read my blog before you will know I am a lover of wine and live music. To be honest Hungarian wine is some of the best I have ever tasted…and I hear they keep it all to themselves! This cute little wine bar is in the Old Jewish Quarter and has a real cozy atmosphere with live jazz.
5. Szechenyi Thermal Bath: one of the major tourist attractions on Budapest. We went to the biggest one. There are so many to choose from you can always hit up a less famous one for some peace and quiet. I got a bundle with a massage included which was the perfect end to my trip.